Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Our weekend at the farm!

On Saturday, we went to this really awesome farm, Miller Farms. It cost us $50 bucks to get in, but they have a TON of activities, all inclusive. There's a playground, lots of old cars and planes, and even a fire engine that kids can play in, a jumpy obstacle course thing, a hay pyramid, a dirt sliding hill, bicycle tractors, train rides, etc, etc... And you get to go on a long hayride, where you can pick as many fruits and vegetables as you want! It was a lot of fun, we picked a TON of stuff, including 5 pumpkins, one for each of us! Does anyone need tomatoes? Because I have a ton, seriously. We got corn on the cob, maybe 20ish ears, carrots, onions (huge ones, over 20!), probably 15 pounds of potatoes, about 10 pounds of tomaotes, broccoli, green beans, peppers (chili, red green and yellow), just 1 acorn squash (it started raining at the squash so we couldn't any butternut, since we had 5 pumpkins to carry, and I had a 3 year old to carry as well.). There were cantaloupes and watermelons as well, but we didn't get any, as the pickings were slim and it was...raining!



I should've taken a picture of my kitchen as were were unloading and washing vegetables. What a mess! And when I was washing broccoli, I found something strange, squishy and green in my fingers.....I rolled it, realized what it was, dropped it and SCREAMED! What a girl I am, it was just a little green caterpillar! LOL So after pulling the rest of the caterpillars out of the broccoli, and rescuing one from a near drowning in the sink (this was very dramatic for the kids, "it" was very still for awhile, while we waited to see if it was going to live....it did!), we ended up with 7 cute little green caterpillars. Now, my kids, especially Keaton, have this "obsession" with caterpillars turning into butterflies. So we put them in a jar, with broccoli, to keep and watch.



Sadly, one of the caterpillars has gone missing! Which was upsetting, but since THREE of the caterpillars gave BIRTH yesterday, to lots of itty bitty caterpillars, I think we're okay. In fact, we are so okay, that the caterpillars are going to Raegan's classroom today! LOL It was really funny, I was telling Raegan that maybe it was time to put the caterpillars outside, since we have no intentions of having a caterpillar farm in the house, (and because it's getting stinky, what with rotting broccoli and all) and she said, "but Mom, we can't put them outside, the mommies just had babies!" So I said, "Raegan, do you think caterpillars give birth in a hospital? They're born outside!" LOL It was really funny. So anyway, we've talked to Raegan's teacher, and the caterpillars will be part of her 2nd grade class after today.



And here are some pictures from the farm!


What do you know, it's Mater!

Flo's at the farm, too!

Lightning McQueen?

The Sheriff...

And Doc, of course! Sally wasn't there, I guess a Ferrari is hard for a farm to come by!

The farm...

Squash Love

At least one of them smiled! Sheesh!

The Love Bug, yet another car celebrity made an appearance!

Going for a tractor ride...

Gavin didn't like being in this tire....

but he liked this one!

Raegan and Keaton loved this! Of course, Keaton saw a train ride and took off for that, without permission, and I spent 10 minutes looking for him....so he didn't like it enough to STAY PUT like I thought he would.....

Gavin is our scaredy-cat, he doesn't like jumpy things, he prefered the swings!


Surfing down the dirt!

Wheee!

Keaton's turn!

It was too fun, I had to climb up too!

And take a turn!

Raegan's turn!

Who needs snow? I sure don't! haha

Tractor-cycles?


Whatever they're called, they were fun!

Getting our bags ready to pick veggies!


Forever buddies!


Most of the family....


Proof that Aaron exists!

Hay ride


Why yes, I did dye my own hair, and yes, it is orangeish! What's so wrong about orange roots anyway?


Raegan's funky carrot.

Anyway, that's it! We had a lot of fun, the weather was perfect, cool and cloudy, and we stayed there for about 4-5 hours, I think. Well worth the money. And we got home in time to go out on a date! We went to one of our favorite restaurants, Via Toscana, and then went and saw Eagle Eye at the movie theatre. It was a great day!

5 comments:

Marie said...

How fun! I wish they had that here. I guess it is too hot for it though! I would totally slide down the dirt hill that looks like fun.

Yaaa!!! Let me know how the ob is doing!

created by Nicole said...

WOW!!!!!! I am so jealous! You all look like you had tons of fun:) And your hair looks great!

Becky Bevans said...

That looked like an awesome day I can't believe how much you got from the farm. So not only did you have good times you got some food too. The kids are precious I miss you all lots Love ya A. Becky

Christina said...

Hey Reina!! Thanks for your comment on my blog. Your family is so cute. Is that really Reagen was all I could think!! Your kids are cuties!! Well I hope you don't mind I added your blog to mine. I hope we can keep in touch!!

Also my kids probably would have lost the caterpillars in the house somewhere... never to be found again!

Mike and Erika said...

That looks like a lot of fun!!